Sunday, July 10, 2005

The joys of Golf




As some of you may or may not know I've recently taken advantage of the lessons I take to get my scores down. From shooting in the 120's in April at Myrtle Beach to shooting in the 90's in June on the return trip, I can't say enough about the need for some professional involvement when it comes to improving your game.

Well, another milestone was reached this weekend. As those of you who know me already know, I've been fighting to get below 90 for most of this month. I've actually hit 90 on the nose at least half a dozen times, and missed 89 by mere inches (literally). Playing yesterday at the Exeter Country Club in Rhode Island (beautiful course, highly recommended), I shot a 45 on the front nine and assumed that it would be another case of a round in the low 90's. It seems fate and the Golf Gods would have other ideas as I tore through the back nine at a mere three over par 39 which crushed my previous best game by six strokes to card an 84 for the day. My best round ever. The back nine played like a dream, no wasted shots and even the few wayward ones I hit I was able to scramble around to make par. I started the tenth with a bogey by getting up and down out of the sand, then three pars in a row before bogeying the next hole, then hit a 260 yard drive to about 85 yards out and stuck a sand wedge within two feet of the flag, birdied that one. Finished up the back nine by getting up and down on the final par 5.

There are days when it seems like nothing is going right and every shot is a chore. Keep the days when you're blessed and 'in the zone', they don't come around that often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home