Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Rif

It seems like it's been a while since I've posted something that wasn't simply a cut and paste from an email I received from someone else, so I figured I'd put something in that I actually took the time to type out.

Over the holidays (formerly known as 'Christmas') I received several books as gifts. I hadn't actually sat down and read a book in a while and so with these books on hand I decided to go ahead and enjoy them. I'd forgotten how long it had been since I'd read a good book and how much I missed the whole process.




The first one I'd read was the 2002 Hugo and Nebula award winner for best novel by Neil Gaiman, the same author as the Sandman graphic novel series.

American Gods is a very good read. In a nutshell, all the old Gods, led by Odin, have fallen on hard times as their followers have all died off or drifted away. The New World is not a suitable breeding ground for them and they find themselves prey to the 'new' Gods-the internet and the onslaught of mass media. They carry out their feud in good old fashioned shootings and mafia-style hits. While the story's main protagonist isn't what you'd call a well fleshed out character, the concept is so well done that you find yourself seeking what happens next. Recommended if you like your fantasy a little gritty and find yourself drawn to the concept as I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home