Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Things I learned last night

1. I love my car. Driving home in last night's snow storm with many of the backroads unplowed, I had absolutely no problem getting around. Even up the steep incline of my unplowed driveway, I rode into my garage like I was on dry pavement. Beautiful.

2. I'm glad I have a garage.

3. When you are winning, poker is about playing decent cards, paying attention to your position at the table and who is in the hand with you and playing the odds. When you're playing any two cards and losing it's all about luck.

4. One man's cursed piece of plastic is another man's road to multiple boats.

5. A set of nines beats top pair. A-K beats A-Q. And I owe MS an apology, I actually did clear over $100. I miscounted and I hope he forgives me & still loves me.

6. A small pocket pair will lose to a bigger pocket pair, especially if the bigger pocket pair becomes a set. Learn to dump it.

7. Keeping track of hands played puts everything in perspective.

8. I've been lucky for five consecutive weeks.

9. Dan Harrington is a genius, even if his hat looks funny.

10. Not knowing where you are, what your cards are, who's betting, what the bet was , whether you've called or raised or what the chips are worth does not preclude you from winning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Captain Kirk said...

I like number 10 the best. Can you say Crazy Ivan?

Then I would say that number 6 gives me the warm fuzzies.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Hand said...

I have to add that number six was a deliberate ploy to return some money to the general population, since up to that moment I was 7-0 in hands contested. I didn't want to be accused of cheating.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not knowing where you are,(Kirk's house) what your cards are, (let's not get started on this one...) who's betting, what the bet was, whether you've called or raised or what the chips are worth does not preclude you from winning.

If my poker playing style distracts you then it's working.
Please don't knock the Crazy Ivan method of playing poker. My best selling book will be in stores in time for the holidays.
- KI

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mr. Hand said...

Didn't distract me at all. We were never in the same hands.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home