Sunday, February 13, 2005

Lists

Okay, it seems like a standard thing that people do when they're starting out making one of these blog things is to make a list. Lists are fun, people like reading them, they're easy and quick to go through and there aren't usually too many words, which is always a bonus. So here's a list of stuff I'm either reading or have read in the recent past. I'm sure if you're very quiet and behave, I'll do some sort of movie list too.

As some of you may or may not know, I'll become a US citizen in the near future and so have become more interested in the subject of politics. Although I've always held some interest in it and tried to keep up on current events, becoming franchised for the first time in my life has led to a certain zeal for information concerning the political arena. I'm sure it will cool as the weather gets better and I can actually leave the house, but in the meantime I've been sitting back and reading Party of the People: A History of the Democrats. There is a companion book written and published at the same time concerning the GOP. I may get around to it at some point.

Prior to that I picked up a copy of Dan Harrington's Harrington on Hold'em. An excellent book detailing no limit Texas Hold'em strategy. He isn't too heavy with the numbers and keep his writing clear and concise, something Sklansky doesn't always do.

I also finished up a very timely book in view of the last election results What's the Matter with Kansas? In it the author's premise (in a nutshell) is that people will vote against their own economic interest when they've been whipped into a frenzy about emotionally charged, but in many cases frivolous issues. A very interesting read.

The last book I've read of note was Five Points. In short, if you saw the film Gangs of New York you were watching a modified version of what life in New York City was like just prior to and during the Civil War. The book draws upon period documents and historical writings to paint a picture of how life was really like at that time. If you liked the movie you may enjoy the book. It is a historical piece so if fiction is more your cup of tea, you may want to give it a miss.

So since this was supposed to be a list and up to this point there has been no list here it is:
  1. Party of the People
  2. Harrington on Hold'em
  3. What's the Matter with Kansas
  4. Five Points

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home